Monday, December 18, 2006 8:29 PM Feature vs. Freedom

Jono talks about an issue which is close to my heart [1]. The lack of high performance free 3D drivers is always in the back of my mind. I'm finishing my Master of Science degree in the area of 3D graphics. As such, I've made the decision to compromise some freedom for features. I wish that I could have made a different decision, but it was just not possible. My supervisors use windows and need to run my programs. The latest and greatest in Graphics techniques are only available on certain cards, and those cards don't have free drivers.

I don't know a solution, but I do know that I will continue to support Freedom. I'd even be willing to put my money where my mouth is for a free as in Freedom graphics card/drivers.

[1] http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=843

No comments:

lakin's shared items